Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Taking it back to the beginning...


I thought I'd give a bit of history on this thing for the people who don't anything about it (and since I'm up early with a headache, mornings are the hardest).

This all started back in August 2006. I just moved to Toronto for grad school and was getting settled in. I knew exactly two people in the city, and I was fortunate enough to be hanging out with them having a beer that night. I remember having a beer, and the next thing I remember is waking up in the back of an ambulance with an oxygen mask on. I didn't know my name, what day it was, where I was, any of that stuff, and to be honest, it scared the crap out of me. The best part was finally getting to the emergency room and remembering my name and the date.

I got to "Emerg" as it's called up there and waited...and waited...and waited. At about 1:30 in the morning I found out from the EMT that I had a brain tumor. After a few scary, tear-filled, lonely phone calls I pulled it together a figured out what was going on.

Good news: A benign, low grade tumor
Bad news: It's still growing, still could become malignant, still can cause seizures

That's making a short story long. I'll go into a little more about Toronto tomorrow, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment